Monday, 21 October 2013

Book review: The Other Typist



I'm back again with another book review! I've been quite busy doing work experience and generally dealing with life over the past few weeks but have still managed to keep up my reading, so I've got quite a few book (and film) reviews to put up on here.

First off it's Suzanne Rindell's The Other Typist. The book tells the story of Rose, a young typist in 1920s New York. Rose is quiet, prudish and plain... until she meets Odalie, the new typist in the precinct. Odalie is glamourous and beautiful: the quintessential 20's flapper. She has short bobbed hair, smokes and goes to speakeasies. Rose is at once shocked and enchanted by Odalie. Watching her every move, she increasingly becomes obsessed with her new friend and eventually becomes entwined into her world.

I'll admit, I intially picked this up at the library because of its association with the 1920s (which I'm a teeny but in love with if you haven't already noticed) as well as hearing that Keira Knightley will be starring in the film version of the novel. Other than these details, the book is not something I would normally go for but is actually one that I've grown to love. Taking place in a police precinct, The Other Typist is part crime novel, part psychological study. It tackles friendship, truth, obsession and insanity. Told from Rose's unreliable perspective, Rindell writes in a way which makes you keep reading to find out the truth. Whilst this isn't going to wow you with its writing style, it's a really fun, easy read which I would recommend to any 20's lovers out there.

Let me know what you think and if you've read any good books recently. I'm going to the cinema on Friday to see Le Weekend which I'm really looking forward to. So stay tuned for another review! 

Xxx



2 comments:

  1. Oooh, this book sounds really tempting! And I love books set in the '20s too :) I'm going to hunt it down! x

    ReplyDelete